Osho is one of the best known and most provocative spiritual teachers of our time. Beginning in the 1970s he attracted the attention of young people in the West who wanted to experience meditation and transformation. More than a decade after his death in 1990, the influence of his teachings continue to expand, reaching seekers of all ages in virtually every country of the world.
Born Chandra Mohan Jain, and also known as Acharya Rajneesh from the 1960s and Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh during the 1970s, Osho was described as an enlightened mystic whose spontaneous talks to disciples and friends have been transcribed and published in more than 650 books in 35 languages worldwide. Osho’s unique clarity, insight and humor has touched the lives of millions of people around the world.
Here we present you 10 of many Osho’s thoughts on love. Feel free to share you comments with us!
1. “Lovers are always afraid. The fear is because love comes like a breeze. You cannot produce it, it is not something to be manufactured – it comes. But anything that comes on its own, can go also on its own, that is a natural corollary. Love comes, and flowers blossom in you, songs arise in your heart, a desire to dance… but with a hidden fear. What will happen if this breeze that has come to you, cool and fragrant, leaves you tomorrow?… because you are not the limit of existence. And the breeze is only a guest – it will be with you as long as it feels to be, and it will go any moment.
This creates fear in people, and they become possessive. They start closing their doors and windows to keep the breeze in. But when your doors and windows are closed, it is not the same breeze. The coolness is lost, the fragrance is lost – soon it is disgusting. It needs freedom, and you have taken away the freedom; it is only a corpse. In the name of love people are carrying each others’ corpses, which they call marriage. And to carry corpses you have to go to a government registrar’s office to make it a legal bond. Love cannot allow marriage. In an authentic world marriage will be impossible. One should love, and love intensely and love totally, and not be worried about tomorrow. If existence has been so blissful today, trust that existence will be more beautiful and more blissful tomorrow. As your trust grows, existence becomes more and more generous towards you. More love will shower on you. More flowers of joy and ecstasy will rain over you.”
2. “To me there is nothing more sacred than love and laughter, and there is nothing more prayerful than playfulness.
When you are in love, all fears disappear, and when you become love yourself, even death becomes irrelevant. Jesus is not very far away from the truth when he says, “God is love.” Certainly God is power, the greatest power. I want to improve upon Jesus: I don’t say God is love, I say love is God. To me God is only a symbol and love is a reality. God is only a myth — love is the experience of millions of people. God is only a word, but love can become a dance in your heart.”
3. “Be loving towards yourself, then you will be able to love others too.”
4. “Once a person is at the center of love, there is very rarely a possibility for him to fall back down, because he has tasted something of the heights. Now valleys will be very dark, ugly; he has seen sunlit peaks, not very high, but still high; now his whole desire will be…. “
5. “And that is the trouble with all lovers: they want more love, because they don’t understand that the real desire is not for more love, but for something more than love. Their language ends with love; they don’t know any way that is higher than love, and love does not satisfy. On the contrary, the more you love the more thirsty you become. At the fourth center of love, one feels a tremendous satisfaction only when energy starts moving to the fifth center.”
6. “Drop hesitations. People come to me and they say they want to love, they hesitate; they want to meditate, but they hesitate; they would like to dance, but they hesitate. If this hesitation is there and you go on feeding it, you will miss your whole life. It is time: drop it! And nothing else is to be done: just become aware that this is just the way you have been brought up, that’s all.
7.”Prem Bubula, I have told you that a woman is to be loved, not understood.”
8.”And remember one fundamental law of life. If they are hostile, they have hate towards us, sooner or later they are going to fall into my trap, because hate can turn into love very easily, just as love can become hate very easily.”
9.”The key to happiness: You may speak of love and tenderness and passion, but real ecstasy is discovering you haven’t lost your keys after all. Women begin by resisting a man’s advances and end by blocking his retreat. If you want to change a woman’s mind, agree with her. If you want to know what a woman really means, look at her – don’t listen to her. ”
10. “If you love somebody and the whole day you say, “I love you, I love you,” many times – and you enjoy saying it – in the beginning the other person may be happy, but sooner or later the thing is going to be too much. “I love you, I love you” – you are making a beautiful word useless. Don’t use it too much. Then it is significant, then it carries some meaning. In fact those who are really in love may not use it at all. If the love is not shown by itself it cannot be said – there is no need to say it. And if it is shown by itself, then what is the need to say it? There should be a few key words which you use rarely, very rarely. They should be kept for rare occasions when you touch a peak.”
∼If you like our article, give Conscious Reminder a thumbs up, and help us spread LOVE & LIGHT!∼